The above program was held on Thursday 16th November at Main Hall of the college from 9.00 am to 11.15 am. Participants were about 115 students of year 6,7,8,9 and 10 together with 7 teachers. The Principal of the college Mrs. R M D K Samaratunga was very supportive for the activity and provided all facilities for the event, though she was unable to take part in the event. In fact, Mrs Kandewatta, one of the teachers and a MF trainer of Kandy District has done some ground work to introduce Sati concept to the teachers and children of the school. The coordinating teachers Mrs V Kandewatta, Mrs V S K Mahalekam, Mrs A M K Abhayaratne and Mr D Kasthuriarachchi extended their fullest corporation to our work.
Four MFs from Sati-Group-Kandy namely; Sena Ratnasiri, Tharindu Kandewatta, Chandani Dissanayake, and Nayana Nawaratne conducted this program.
The activities carried out during the session were as follows;
- Introduction 9.00 am to 9.15 am
- Mindful toffee eating 9.15 am to 9.30 am
- Further explain/ Body scan / Mindful listening 9.30 am to 10.00 am
- Explain and carryout mindful walking (in the ground) 10.00 am to 10.25 am
- Explain and carryout mindful walking (in the main hall) 10.25 am to 10.50 am
- Mindfulness in day-to-day work, feedback, conclusion 10.50 am to 11.15 am
This school is located next to famous Gadaladeniya temple and housed in a fairly old but architecturally appealing building. The student population of the school is relatively low. We noted that these students were relatively calm and obedient. Students wrote feedback forms very clearly. From those it was apparent that a large percentage of them grasped the idea of “sathiya” in correct manner. They intend to continue their sessions with “Sati-Pasala” book.